He didn't have a respiratory infection, but he DID have a urinary tract infection. Which really surprised me. He wasn't straining in the litterbox, he was eating just fine. The only odd thing I noticed was him drinking a LOT of water. So, public service announcement for all the fellow kitty owners out there: if there is any change in the drinking habits of your kitty, it's best to have him or her checked out. It could be a sign of a UTI when no other symptoms are present.

Tiger: The vet lady squeezed me too hard when she picked me up, so she got a big puddled surprise. She wasn't mad though, because I couldn't help it. I didn't feel good at all. I'm on antibiotics now and am feeling a little better.
This was an odd development because Tiger has never had a UTI before. I did switch the cats' dry food from the Hill's C/D to Purina One a few months back for cost reasons (and Miya was the only reason they were all on it). Hopefully it is not the food causing this. If Tiger gets another one, or if another cat pops up with a UTI, it may be back to the C/D food, which was great food (but expensive).
In other vet news, Izumi got her yearly vaccinations today and was pronounced healthy. She does have a slight cough that pops up now and then, but the likely suspect is a mild case of asthma, especially since she has some Siamese in her. There was also some maintenance required on her, um, bottom area, that I won't go into too much detail about. Let's just say she was none too pleased about that.

Izumi: No I am not happy. There was nothing wrong with that area. Why were they messing with it? The cold thermometer thingy was bad enough!
Kal also was checked for sneezing, since he's usually Patient Zero for all upper respiratory infections in this house. He checked out OK, but then he also had some maintenance done with his stinky bottom that involved some shaving...and hissing...and clawing. It wasn't pretty, folks. And he'll have to have this done constantly because his fur is so thick and long.

Kal-el: Apparently my floofy furs, while fun to pet, are not very easy to keep clean. Especially for big kitties like me. I'm not fat, Momma, I'm "fluffy"!
Well, now you're a little bald in some places.
So with sore and shaved behinds, we bid you good day.
Ugh, I hate dealing with glands. Poor critters!
ReplyDelete